Zürcherische Freitagszeitung

1792

1791

1790

1772

1771

1770

1769

1768

1766

1728

1718

1711

1705

Search within this newspaper

Searching is diacritic (accent) sensitive. A search for ‘Geneve’ will not return results containing the word ‘Genève’

About this newspaper

Title: Zürcherische Freitagszeitung
Canton: Zurich
Available online: 9 July 1705 - 25 December 1914 (6,915 issues, 33,790 pages)
Rights: private use
Segmentation level: article level
Description: The Zürcherische Freitagagszeitung was founded in 1674 as the  Ordinari Wochen-Zeitung by Barbara Schaufelberger (1645-1718). After several title changes, the publication appeared in 1853 as the Zürcherische Freitagagszeitung. From 1724 the title was printed by Hans Kaspar Bürkli (1677-1729) in the Bürkli'schen Offizin, later by his successors David Bürkli (1735-1791), Johann Heinrich Bürkli (1760-1821) and then until 1890 was published by Friedrich Bürkli (1818-1896). From April 1890 the Buchdruckerei Berichthaus in Zurich took over production, until it closed in 1914. Since it was published between 1784 and 1799 under the title Zürcher Zeitung, the designation Bürkli-Zeitung established itself in the vernacular to distinguish it from the Neue Zürcher Zeitung. In 1814 it was the most widely read newspaper in Switzerland. For a long time it was federalist and friendly to the Habsburg monarchy, then later conservative and finally close to the liberal-democratic party.