Neue Zürcher Nachrichten

1991

1895

Search within this newspaper

About this newspaper

Title: Neue Zürcher Nachrichten
Canton: Zurich
Available online: 28 December 1895 - 30 April 1991 (56,399 issues, 299,429 pages)
Bibliografic information (Helveticat): http://permalink.snl.ch/bib/sz001841437
Rights: private use
Segmentation level: article level
Description: Beginning in 1896, the Zürcher Nachrichten was published twice a week as the mouthpiece of the Catholic diaspora in the canton of Zurich. In 1904, it became the greatly expanded daily newspaper Neue Zürcher Nachrichten. The newspaper was close to the Christlichsoziale Partei founded in 1896 in Zurich (today's Christlichdemokratische Volkspartei, CVP). Initially, it was produced in its own printing plant in Seefeld, until this was sold in 1972 and the publishing house of the Catholic St. Galler Zeitung Die Ostschweiz took over production. The editorial work continued to take place in Zurich and was funded directly by the Church until 1980. After the subsidies were cancelled, funding was secured by the founding of the NZN Presseclub. However, the decline in circulation led to the newspaper closing in 1991. The editors included Georg Baumberger (1855-1931) from 1904 to 1919, and Emil Buomberger (1877-1939) in the nineteen twenties and thirties, as well as Hermann Odermatt ( 1888-1964) for many years. He also served as editor-in-chief from 1933 to 1963.