Le Jura

Search within this newspaper

Searching is diacritic (accent) sensitive. A search for ‘Geneve’ will not return results containing the word ‘Genève’

About this newspaper

Title: Le Jura
Canton: Jura
Available online: 8 January 1852 - 31 December 1970 (14,433 issues, 72,314 pages)
Bibliografic information (Helveticat): http://permalink.snl.ch/bib/sz001459452
Rights: private use
Segmentation level: article level
Description: The newspaper Le Jura was launched by Victor Michel, founder of the printing house of the same name in 1831. The first issue appeared on December 24, 1851, the last issue was printed on December 31, 1970. Although the title of the newspaper did not change, different subtitles were used over time. La Feuille d’annonce des villes et des campagnes, commerciale, industrielle et agricole, was followed in 1869 by the Journal de l’industrie, du commerce, de l’agriculture then by the Journal industriel, commercial, agricole. From 1915, it became Organe industriel, commercial, agricole and from 1943, Journal suisse d’annonces. Le Jura was intended for the French-speaking part of the canton of Bern, while trying to place itself above the political struggles of the time. At first a weekly paper, it was published twice a week from 1863. A historical supplement, Le Jura du dimanche was published  from 1894 to 1914. The newspaper was edited and printed by Victor Michel, first the father, then the son, and was then bought by a limited partnership of eight people, Société Chavanne, Kohler & Cie. Virgile Chavannes was the director and Adrien Kohler the editor. Ernest Juillerat succeeded him in 1919. From 1947, the newspaper took a stand for the creation of a canton of Jura. In the sixties, the company, in a very difficult financial situation, became the prey of rivalry between separatists and anti-separatists. In the end, it was bought by the former, which earned it a short reprieve.